Skip to main content

...Summer ends, Fall begins...SHOWS! REVIEWS! DANCING! Oh my!

The summer has finally come to an end...and in some respects, I am not complaining. I gleefully put away the few pairs of shorts I own, and slide those bins of sweaters and hoodies out from under the bed. I look to the wall and say "see you in the spring" the the *cool* setting on my central air. My night jogging seems a little easier. I delight in pumpkin coffee, pumpkin beer, windows open, long walks at night in cool air, sitting on the porch, and not having to mop sweat from my cleavage every time I step outside the door.

But it means an end to summer ska show going. Not that these bands hibernate or anything, but there is something deliciously summery about this wonderful genre and those nights spent dripping with sweat and cooling off with beer after hours of dancing. The music scene in general seems to slow down a little as the leaves turn pretty colors in the North East. My e-mail is filling with show announcements from my usual venue haunts of metal bands and Halloween parties. A quick glance at my calendar however assures me that it was just an illusion. My favorite season plans to be just as active with music, dancing, and general mischief as any summer ever was. And thank fucking goodness for that.

Starting it off, my dear friend, promoter, and fellow show hopper Rob's super birthday extravaganza out in Wilkes Barre, PA is this Friday with NJ's own Hub City Stompers, The Rudie Crew from NYC, and WB hometown favorites, The Nonrefundables. I expect this show review to be as much of a mess as my night probably will be. Between the bands, the friends, and what I imagine will be an unhealthy amount of beer consumed...you should make your way there if you can.

Get your venue/ticket info here!

Also coming up are the Skalapaooza shows, which I have been looking forward to since I first got wind of their planning with a REALLY fun lineup. The always incredible Pietasters, the reunion of The Pilfers, Spring Heeled Jack playing acoustic, and more have filled out this sure to be amazing series of shows being presented by Asbestos Records. The series kicks off October 19th in Philadelphia, finishing off in Boston on October 28th, with stops in New York City, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. I have feelers out for both the DC and NYC shows. I will be headed back from my vacation in North Carolina the day of the DC show so if I can find it in my schedule (and my wallet) to be there, I will be. Either way, get yourself to at least one of these.

SKALAPALOOZA dates, venues, ticket info here!

This one almost made me swallow my tongue. I have this new found love of boat shows. Booze cruises. Ska on the water. Between the Slackers and the Pietasters this summer, I have become a devotee of dancing on a tipping, floating vessel. I had been looking for some way to celebrate my birthday (which has a history of sucking something terrible every single year) and I was alerted to this show that week. That Friday, no less. MEPHISKAPHELES, INSPECTER 7, STEP2FAR...on a boat. On a mutherfucking boat. Friday, October 26th. Happy birthday to me!!! Expect a review, and probably a lot of really blurry pictures.

Ticket and event info HERE!

In addition, I have some pieces in the works that will find their way up here for your reading enjoyment ...or criticizing. I have a TON of great music reviews that I am working on thanks to a rapid influx of submissions after my piece on The Shifters. I have my hands full of great music, and this makes me deliriously happy. Stay tuned...and get out there...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

The Dropsteppers - Get Up In It

Living in the shadow of New York City my whole life has been a blessing. Culture, art, energy, great music, legendary venues, amazing food, and better people watching than you can find almost anywhere else. This became especially true when my ears found ska music in the mid-90's. So much comes out of New York in every genre, and I think it's really made it's name in ska music very well known and well defined. However, it's bright light of awesomeness has blocked my view of what's going on in the Midwest in this glorious music scene...and I feel ashamed! BAD SKA GIRL, Amanda. BAD. There is this whole buzzing beautiful world of dancing just beyond our tri-state area, and every time I stumble into another great band, it's like Christmas for me. This happened again a few months ago. For years, I never really knew that anything but Brenda and Brandon Walsh came out of Minnesota. (you can slap me for that comment) Boy, was I fucking wrong. But I didn't know ther