Skip to main content

The Prizefighters - Follow My Sound

Last week, this album was dropped into my inbox. There is always that moment before I hit play on a new record when I wonder what it's going to do to me when it starts. Where the music is going to take me. Am I going to cringe? Am I going to smile? Music is a lot like other beautiful things in the world...it's appeal lies in the ears, the mind, and the soul of the person listening. It's a gleeful anticipation for me...that moment before the music starts. It's complete silence that I know will be broken by something that could be anything. Amazing or dreadful. Soothing or piercing. It's a delicious kind of anxiety...

I put in Follow My Sound by The Prizefighters, and I hit play. I let the music begin. Soulful. Soothing. But I am dancing where I sit. From the moment the second track kicked in, it's been on an almost constant rotation. Who the heck are these guys?! (and gal!)



They are the Prizefighters, from way out Minneapolis, MN. Started in 2006, they have been playing their brand of throwback ska on stages with everyone from The Aggrolites to the English Beat and the Toasters. Certainly no small fete in this notoriously fickle scene. This Friday night, they open for my beloved Slackers and the Green Room Rockers at Triple Rock Social Club in their home base of Minneapolis.

You can get tickets for that show HERE.

If you are within driving distance, I suggest highly that you get yourself to this show. You will not be disappointed. They are pretty damn fantastic.

The Prizefighters have a great blending of rocksteady groove and modern ska flavor layered with gritty, almost gravely vocals and harmonies. It's a really good sound. Addicting. I have been sitting here with the album in my headphones, and every so often I have to hit repeat on a song that moves me. The title track, Follow My Sound, has me in it's grips right now. It's a very soulful vocal heavy song that kicks in with organ and those raspy vocals I am loving, and maintains that groove all the way through with a quick break for a brassy solo.

This album is not all soulful vocals and swaying though. Second track Outside My Window is one of those songs where if you can stand still while listening, I don't know what to do with you and I think something inside of you might be broken or defective. Still with those sexy raspy vocals, but the upbeat tempo held fast by a thumping bass and drum beat gets inside of you and makes you dance. Peppered with brass and sing a long backup vocals, I can't help but crave this song in a live venue.

I can't help but crave this band in a live venue, in general. They have a traditional sound but it's simultaneously modern and fresh. It's fun. Truth and Lies holds my attention at the moment for favorite track on the album. Tapping percussion and powerful vocals layered over a horns and a beat I can't help but move to...it's amazing. This is happy, grooving, driving ska that get's under your skin and into your soul. It's music for crackling vinyl, dark smoky clubs, and dancing with pretty girls. Or at least that is my vision, listening to songs like Before Tonight. Give it a listen and see what you feel...

I'm sold. Pick up this album. The Prizefighters - Follow My Soul. On a side note, the album itself was expertly mastered by my home state of New Jersey's own scene pioneer King Django. It's no surprise. This album will be in heavy rotation on my radio show starting this Sunday, and I can guarantee I will be getting e-mails of praise and request after one spin. It's that good. How did I not know about this band?

In addition to their show with The Slackers this Friday, the Prizefighters will be in Chicago on November 17th at the Mayne Stage backing the legendary Stranger Cole. That is going to be an incredible performance. If I was not 700 miles away, I would be there. I wonder how long that would take to drive...

You can find information about that show HERE.

You can get information on The Prizefighters and their album Follow My Sound HERE.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

Something Refreshingly Different with Muscle Tough - Modern Romance!

Philadelphia is a lovely city full of delightful people, wonderful history, a big statue of Rocky, and this incredible Italian pork sandwich that beats out any cheese steak I ever had. Don't take my word for it, go eat one. Beyond all that though is an inventive and lively music scene comprised of great venues and some massive talent. Always in the mood for something new, I was recently introduced to the dreamy space jam sounds of Muscle Tough . These guys have a new record out called Modern Romance and if you dig those space-heavy jams like I do, this might just be your bag right here. This is the third record for the trio, following up their 2016 EP release, " Greasin’ Up The Mediocrity Wheel” and 2017’s full length, “Magical Achievements” . The band has had some great guest appearances and played with some heavy hitters on stage, and has been reviewed as a delightful and hilarious band to catch. They are obviously good at what they do musically and have some incred