Skip to main content

Shayfer James...nothing borrowed, something new...

What is this noirpop?

Pop on over to those interwebs, do a search for Shayfer James, and you have found it. And I promise you, you will never be the same.

An amazing blend of haunting and emotional vocals expertly laced through delicately pounding and softly touching piano work. Combine this with his mischievousness in storytelling, and what you walk away with is amazing and different. It's something new and something old simultaneously. It's Shayfer James. Try as I might, I can't find a category that accurately depicts exactly what this music is, but it moves me. Oh, how it moves me.



Flashback to September of 2010. I accompanied my best friend and super terrestrial rock DJ Lindsay Klein to a battle of the bands she was helping to judge at Parlay Studios in Jersey City. A converted warehouse now serving as a studio, gallery, and event venue, I was enthralled in all the energy of the many people that milled around inside. Lindsay went off to her judging duties, and I stood around in the crowd, sipping beer, and people watching. Listening to the bands as they came and went. Nothing really caught my attention. In all honesty, I was bored out of my mind. Some of these bands were TERRIBLE! I am not without culture or artistic understanding, but some of these folks were just over my head. Loud, strange, colorful and fun to watch for sure...but nothing new. Nothing fresh. Weird for weird's sake.

Then it changed. Three gentleman took the stage quietly and politely, well dressed from another era when romance was real and gentlemen chased nightmares away right before they took your hand and showed you how much fun they could be. A quick quiet introduction followed, and they started right in with something that has rung in my head ever since. I don't recall what song they started off with, but by the time they got to Siren Song, I was hooked. For the record, it has remained my favorite song of his ever since. I could not even explain right then what it was I was hearing. The voice was something like Jeff Buckley, but deeper and from somewhere darker. Melodies that haunted you while they moved your body. Music that got inside me. This was something new. This was something beautiful. I was floored. For an admitted music snob like myself, that doesn't happen often.

Standing in the long line for the ladies room a short time later, I found myself approached by a very friendly fellow in a bowler hat and neutral vest that I recognized was the singer and pianist from this amazing band I had just listened to. Maybe I was obviously fascinated by this music in view of the stage...I never asked. He shook my hand and said hello. Some small talk followed, and then he was off and on his way.

That was my first introduction to Shayfer James.

I have been a devoted follower ever since. On his website, I found the term "Noirpop" describing this new and dark breed of melody. I don't think I could have come up with anything better myself.

The Owl and the Elephant from 2010 kicks off my fascination with this music, and was expertly followed up with Counterfeit Arcade in 2011. I have both on pretty consistent rotation on my weekly show, and have received a lot of amazing feedback. I think if you have not delved into what Shayfer can bring out of you, you should. You are missing out on a beautiful journey. You are missing out on music that reads your soul.

Get the music here...

Get both. No two songs sound alike, but every single one tells a story. My suggestion: Listen to Siren Song (The Owl and the Elephant), and then follow it up with Villainous Thing (Counterfeit Arcade). I can't get enough of this song. Maybe because I am one, but more likely because the up and down beat of the piano slides slowly and smoothly into a chorus you can't help but sing along with as loudly as possible. I do. Then listen to everything else. Take a long drive. Find someone you really enjoy kissing. Listen. Devour. Absorb, and be changed.

Shayfer James does a gorgeous version of Leonard Cohen's Waiting For The Miracle in this clip. It's not on his albums, but you can find it here. If this doesn't hook you in to how he gets inside your soul with what he does, I don't know what will.


~AJH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pinstripes - I

My Sunday mornings, unless coupled with a hangover, are my favorites. I wake up whenever my body stirs from slumber (or the cat steps on my face), stumble downstairs in my robe and pajamas, and start my coffee.  Once a cup or so is consumed and that sweet, sweet blood of life also known as caffeine is streaming through my veins, I like to crank up something good and loud and full of soul and dance to wake my ass up and fill me with life while I do my mundane New Jersey suburb Sunday morning chores. It has to be good. It has to move me. It has to remind me that the world is alive and buzzing around me and I woke up this morning...I should be doing nothing less than dancing, So this is when I usually like to test out new music. My mind is rested and clear, and craving something that will make me move. I waited until a Sunday morning to pop in The Pinstripes for the first time. I don't think I even needed the caffeine. WOW. This album exploded all over me, and I have been nothing sh...

More Than a Mouthful - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad : Make it Better

I feel like I hit the auditory lottery this last year in a lot of ways. Opening my mind to another side of music has been a delicious adventure that I really didn't anticipate shaping and changing me the way it did. I started this blog/podcast focused on local artists which became almost exclusively a ska/reggae/rocksteady undertaking. It's music that lights me up and a scene that welcomed and encouraged what I was trying to do with this whole project. I wanted to share what I was finding in the scene. I wanted to promote and push bands, albums, and shows that were regional into an international audience. This has always and will always be my mission, but I have had to admit that my blinders were on. Enter my husband. Jam guy meets Ska girl. They bond over punk rock and get married. We found out the two scenes we come from were so incredibly similar in so many ways. The vibe, the crowds, the social ideas were very much the same but still there was some strange imaginary ...

The Pandemics - Brain on Tap

New York City is a veritable cornucopia of music and culture. The music, the art, the people...it all radiates with an aura of gritty determination that won't wash off. It's unique energy permeates everything that bleeds from between it's concrete structures and dark clubs and bars. I am in love with New York City. I always will be. It's been a mecca of ska and punk music over the last bunch of decades, and my favorite place to escape New Jersey and run to for a recharge of my soul. Bands in New York have an energy that is almost tangible, and nearly impossible to describe. It varies band to band, scene to scene...but it's constant. Every time I get into a new one, I can detect it almost immediately. It's what gets me dancing immediately...be it sitting at my desk, driving in my car, doing my dishes, putting my radio show and podcast together, everything where the music is filling my ears. Thank fucking goodness for New York City. This is everything that fil...