Skip to main content

Review: The Shifters - In It! and an interview with Keith Duncan

...I am officially addicted.

It happens on occasion. I get myself an album that I can't get out of my speakers, my headphones, or my head in general. It's been a while. Then I was sent a copy of The Shifters new album, In It! And it happened again. My addiction kicked in full force, and I can't stop listening.

Or dancing.



A couple months back, I did an interview with Steve Jackson of the Pietasters, and he mentioned the music scene in the Washington DC area. He mentioned The Shifters specifically. Always willing to take the word of a my blog subjects and an admired musician, I began my quest to get more familiar with these guys. I found some YouTube videos and while I was highly impressed with how tight this band is live, it was not until I got this album that I realized just exactly what level of amazing I was dealing with here.

To call myself a music snob is probably an understatement, and I am not easily impressed by anyone for any reason. Studio album or live performance. But The Shifters figured it out. Whatever that magic formula is that puts music in my head and keeps it happily lodged there, they have it. I am wondering where the heck I have been hiding that I have not been all over these gentlemen.

The Shifters formed in 2010 in Washington DC. "It was more of a drunken garage project. I don't think anyone really took it too seriously", says Shifters trombonist Keith Duncan. "However, there were a few higher caliber players in the band which sort of propelled us forward. Manolo (Los Granadians) is definitely a consummate reggae and rocksteady writer. We also had Jorge from The Ambitions on bass, and Taylor has been a touring musician for many years in various rock bands. I've always been a fan of less-than-modern Jamaican music".

As is often the case after a sound is found, nurtured, and perfected, there were various changes to the band itself. This eventually led to the lineup as it is today...which is, to say the least, an amazing match-up of talented musicians and performers. All you have to do is give their most recent album one spin, and that is obvious. Keith Duncan was nice enough to sit down with me and tell me a bit about the process of making the new album:

Keith: "Last year, I flew out Persephone from Ocean 11 to do a mini tour. The reception was overwhelming from all ten people who saw it, and we realized we needed to move ahead legitimately with a recording of some sort. We practiced our asses off for that Queen P tour, and we were really sounding tight. It was fairly obvious we needed to record, but I think we had a whopping thousand dollars in our band fund which would barely cover the recording studio."

"Taylor (trumpet player...side note: he wrote a song for Weezer) and I started talking about Kickstarter. My buddy in LA, Jason Lawless, started a record label through crowd funding and I though we could emulate that for our record."

"We booked the studio time, and we set up a Kickstarter page. I crunched the numbers, based on wanting to press a 10inch, and I came up with a conservative $2,500.

Check out the Kickstarter page here...

"We blew that number out of the water with a little advertising, and we were really happy with the recorded results. So we took the extra money and pressed a special run of blue vinyl for Kickstarter patrons. More importantly, we had enough money to have Brian Dixon (from the Aggrolites) do us a favor of mixing our record, which really sent our sound over the top."

While the band formed in DC, they hail from all over the country, and the world. Keith is from San Diego. Taylor is from Oregon. Matt is from Louisiana. Manolo is from Spain. Gerry is from Africa. Scotty is from New Jersey. The remaining boys (Budman, Harris, and Julian) are the only locals, by means of Maryland. Their diversity in geographic origin is hardly the only thing that sets them apart from other bands in this scene. Their sound is smooth. Groove-laden bass lines and keys layered between clean brass sounds and soulful vocals. It's addicting, but don't take my word for it. You need this album.

From beginning to end, it's not only melodic and dance-able, but I have found myself singing along with it since the second time I listened to it all the way through. My favorite track changes daily. Hourly maybe. Lately, "It's Been Too Long" has been the most frequently played, followed by "Moving On". Both have not only a wonderful rocksteady groove, but the vocals are amazing. Beautifully sung lyrics and melody melded in a wonderful balance. The brass is clean, perfectly placed, and well mixed. It's a theme throughout the album in it's entirety. It's really, really well done...beginning to end. If you can listen to one track on In It! and not find yourself dancing just a little bit...quite frankly, I don't know what to do with you.

"Waiting For A Sign" is also on constant repeat lately. Great lyrics, and each piece...each instrument, each amazing musician...put together perfectly. I am writing this, right now, with my headphones on and this song blasting. I am sitting, and can't help but be moving. I wish I was hearing it live. How far is DC from NJ?

The album, all the way through, is a groove you can feel, straight through to that inner most spot in your soul that makes you close your eyes and dance. And then start asking yourself and anyone else within ear shot..."When the %#$ are these guys going to play the NYC area?!" Well, at least I did. No one answered me yet...but trust me, I am working on that...

To say they are tight as a band is an understatement. I found a video of a live performance of "It's Been Too Long" from sometime last year. If I was not completely in love with this song before, I am now. Completely sold. Is it possible to have a crush on a song? Because I do.

What's a girl to do?

Beg and plead for The Shifters to make a pilgrimage from their home base in DC and come play in North Jersey, of course. I will settle for New York City...parking and tolls are more than worth the price of seeing these gentlemen do their thing live. There is something about hearing music you really love when it's being performed in front of you. The vibration. It cuts into you in the most delicious way.

I can't wait...

You can buy the Shifters album In It! at Stubborn Records by clicking HERE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pinstripes - I

My Sunday mornings, unless coupled with a hangover, are my favorites. I wake up whenever my body stirs from slumber (or the cat steps on my face), stumble downstairs in my robe and pajamas, and start my coffee.  Once a cup or so is consumed and that sweet, sweet blood of life also known as caffeine is streaming through my veins, I like to crank up something good and loud and full of soul and dance to wake my ass up and fill me with life while I do my mundane New Jersey suburb Sunday morning chores. It has to be good. It has to move me. It has to remind me that the world is alive and buzzing around me and I woke up this morning...I should be doing nothing less than dancing, So this is when I usually like to test out new music. My mind is rested and clear, and craving something that will make me move. I waited until a Sunday morning to pop in The Pinstripes for the first time. I don't think I even needed the caffeine. WOW. This album exploded all over me, and I have been nothing sh...

More Than a Mouthful - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad : Make it Better

I feel like I hit the auditory lottery this last year in a lot of ways. Opening my mind to another side of music has been a delicious adventure that I really didn't anticipate shaping and changing me the way it did. I started this blog/podcast focused on local artists which became almost exclusively a ska/reggae/rocksteady undertaking. It's music that lights me up and a scene that welcomed and encouraged what I was trying to do with this whole project. I wanted to share what I was finding in the scene. I wanted to promote and push bands, albums, and shows that were regional into an international audience. This has always and will always be my mission, but I have had to admit that my blinders were on. Enter my husband. Jam guy meets Ska girl. They bond over punk rock and get married. We found out the two scenes we come from were so incredibly similar in so many ways. The vibe, the crowds, the social ideas were very much the same but still there was some strange imaginary ...

The Pandemics - Brain on Tap

New York City is a veritable cornucopia of music and culture. The music, the art, the people...it all radiates with an aura of gritty determination that won't wash off. It's unique energy permeates everything that bleeds from between it's concrete structures and dark clubs and bars. I am in love with New York City. I always will be. It's been a mecca of ska and punk music over the last bunch of decades, and my favorite place to escape New Jersey and run to for a recharge of my soul. Bands in New York have an energy that is almost tangible, and nearly impossible to describe. It varies band to band, scene to scene...but it's constant. Every time I get into a new one, I can detect it almost immediately. It's what gets me dancing immediately...be it sitting at my desk, driving in my car, doing my dishes, putting my radio show and podcast together, everything where the music is filling my ears. Thank fucking goodness for New York City. This is everything that fil...