Skip to main content

...Summer ends, Fall begins...SHOWS! REVIEWS! DANCING! Oh my!

The summer has finally come to an end...and in some respects, I am not complaining. I gleefully put away the few pairs of shorts I own, and slide those bins of sweaters and hoodies out from under the bed. I look to the wall and say "see you in the spring" the the *cool* setting on my central air. My night jogging seems a little easier. I delight in pumpkin coffee, pumpkin beer, windows open, long walks at night in cool air, sitting on the porch, and not having to mop sweat from my cleavage every time I step outside the door.

But it means an end to summer ska show going. Not that these bands hibernate or anything, but there is something deliciously summery about this wonderful genre and those nights spent dripping with sweat and cooling off with beer after hours of dancing. The music scene in general seems to slow down a little as the leaves turn pretty colors in the North East. My e-mail is filling with show announcements from my usual venue haunts of metal bands and Halloween parties. A quick glance at my calendar however assures me that it was just an illusion. My favorite season plans to be just as active with music, dancing, and general mischief as any summer ever was. And thank fucking goodness for that.

Starting it off, my dear friend, promoter, and fellow show hopper Rob's super birthday extravaganza out in Wilkes Barre, PA is this Friday with NJ's own Hub City Stompers, The Rudie Crew from NYC, and WB hometown favorites, The Nonrefundables. I expect this show review to be as much of a mess as my night probably will be. Between the bands, the friends, and what I imagine will be an unhealthy amount of beer consumed...you should make your way there if you can.

Get your venue/ticket info here!

Also coming up are the Skalapaooza shows, which I have been looking forward to since I first got wind of their planning with a REALLY fun lineup. The always incredible Pietasters, the reunion of The Pilfers, Spring Heeled Jack playing acoustic, and more have filled out this sure to be amazing series of shows being presented by Asbestos Records. The series kicks off October 19th in Philadelphia, finishing off in Boston on October 28th, with stops in New York City, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. I have feelers out for both the DC and NYC shows. I will be headed back from my vacation in North Carolina the day of the DC show so if I can find it in my schedule (and my wallet) to be there, I will be. Either way, get yourself to at least one of these.

SKALAPALOOZA dates, venues, ticket info here!

This one almost made me swallow my tongue. I have this new found love of boat shows. Booze cruises. Ska on the water. Between the Slackers and the Pietasters this summer, I have become a devotee of dancing on a tipping, floating vessel. I had been looking for some way to celebrate my birthday (which has a history of sucking something terrible every single year) and I was alerted to this show that week. That Friday, no less. MEPHISKAPHELES, INSPECTER 7, STEP2FAR...on a boat. On a mutherfucking boat. Friday, October 26th. Happy birthday to me!!! Expect a review, and probably a lot of really blurry pictures.

Ticket and event info HERE!

In addition, I have some pieces in the works that will find their way up here for your reading enjoyment ...or criticizing. I have a TON of great music reviews that I am working on thanks to a rapid influx of submissions after my piece on The Shifters. I have my hands full of great music, and this makes me deliriously happy. Stay tuned...and get out there...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pinstripes - I

My Sunday mornings, unless coupled with a hangover, are my favorites. I wake up whenever my body stirs from slumber (or the cat steps on my face), stumble downstairs in my robe and pajamas, and start my coffee.  Once a cup or so is consumed and that sweet, sweet blood of life also known as caffeine is streaming through my veins, I like to crank up something good and loud and full of soul and dance to wake my ass up and fill me with life while I do my mundane New Jersey suburb Sunday morning chores. It has to be good. It has to move me. It has to remind me that the world is alive and buzzing around me and I woke up this morning...I should be doing nothing less than dancing, So this is when I usually like to test out new music. My mind is rested and clear, and craving something that will make me move. I waited until a Sunday morning to pop in The Pinstripes for the first time. I don't think I even needed the caffeine. WOW. This album exploded all over me, and I have been nothing sh...

More Than a Mouthful - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad : Make it Better

I feel like I hit the auditory lottery this last year in a lot of ways. Opening my mind to another side of music has been a delicious adventure that I really didn't anticipate shaping and changing me the way it did. I started this blog/podcast focused on local artists which became almost exclusively a ska/reggae/rocksteady undertaking. It's music that lights me up and a scene that welcomed and encouraged what I was trying to do with this whole project. I wanted to share what I was finding in the scene. I wanted to promote and push bands, albums, and shows that were regional into an international audience. This has always and will always be my mission, but I have had to admit that my blinders were on. Enter my husband. Jam guy meets Ska girl. They bond over punk rock and get married. We found out the two scenes we come from were so incredibly similar in so many ways. The vibe, the crowds, the social ideas were very much the same but still there was some strange imaginary ...

The Pandemics - Brain on Tap

New York City is a veritable cornucopia of music and culture. The music, the art, the people...it all radiates with an aura of gritty determination that won't wash off. It's unique energy permeates everything that bleeds from between it's concrete structures and dark clubs and bars. I am in love with New York City. I always will be. It's been a mecca of ska and punk music over the last bunch of decades, and my favorite place to escape New Jersey and run to for a recharge of my soul. Bands in New York have an energy that is almost tangible, and nearly impossible to describe. It varies band to band, scene to scene...but it's constant. Every time I get into a new one, I can detect it almost immediately. It's what gets me dancing immediately...be it sitting at my desk, driving in my car, doing my dishes, putting my radio show and podcast together, everything where the music is filling my ears. Thank fucking goodness for New York City. This is everything that fil...