Skip to main content

Obi Fernandez - Confessions, Waves and the Garden State



Its no mystery that I am a Jersey girl, through and through. Listen to my radio show or my podcast, and you can hear it. It's not just in what I talk about...my endless stories of show travels over bridges and tunnels to New York and Philadelphia...its also that I have the WORST North Jersey accent, and I can't hide it if I try. It gets worse if I have been drinking too. Hand me a copy of Weird NJ to read while I eat my taylor ham sandwich in an all night diner, and I couldn't be happier. I am fiercely defensive of my home state, and when someone does something great from our grounds, it's pride I can't even hope to properly describe.

Obi Fernandez, man, you done good.

My dear friend and fellow ska podcaster Randy from Ska Crazy got me into Westbound Train not that long ago. An amazing band from top to bottom, but my favorite aspect of the band was always the vocals. There was just so much soul in the way Obi Fernandez sings, and it set them apart from other ska bands. As a singer myself, I tend to focus on vocals even when I try not to. It's just where my ear goes. More than that though, I fall in love with them. They get under my skin and trickle right into my soul when they are done right, and they ruin a song entirely when they are done wrong. Obi Fernandez does it right. So very right. When I heard chatter about Obi doing a solo record, my excitement was probably tangible.

Then I got to hear the song The Color of Your Voice.

Good god.

It was released as a teaser a few months ago, and I clicked that link over and over and over again that day. To this very moment, it's a song I cannot get enough of. Those soulful vocals I adore are there. I have no idea what inspired the lyrics, but damn if I don't wish someone was singing it about me. Even if it's not good. It's just beautiful. The female backups give it a retro flare that makes me think of mod dresses and high hair with white gloves on pretty ladies with synchronized hip movements. I am so in love with this track. But it in no way stops there.

Obi Fernandez is a versatile artist. His style is one that branches out like a willow tree across a wide spectrum of styles, but his sound is so much his own at the same time. This album, Confession, Waves and the Garden State, has many different elements of music stacked up like a beautiful audible game of Jenga that never falls. There is a very prevalent reggae flavor through songs like Check Your Time, Have You Ever, and Don't Turn away. Those gorgeous backup vocals are threaded throughout the album. Obi's unique and soulful voice is not overpowering on the mix at all, but because of how good it is...it rises to the top no matter what.

Then you get to a song like Only A Fool. This song would be at home everywhere from mainstream satellite alternative radio stations to the AM radio in a mid 70's sedan. It's a gorgeous layer of vocals, guitar, brass, and bass. Soft and melodic, but intensely emotional in it's presentation. Ugly Comes Out does a similar dance around different styles before it lands squarely on being simply amazing.

My other favorite track on the album is Pills. Lyrically, vocally, beat. It has it all. It grabs you in the beginning and carries you along to the end, and it's the kind of song you are disappointed about being over. You want more. That really sums up the entire album. It's so good, you are sad when you get to the end. So if you are like me, you simply start it over again. This album gets a lot of attention from me. I can't hope to sing as well as Obi Fernandez does, but damn if I don't sing along with every word on this album anyway. And loud. I can't help it. You won't be able to either.

Have I gushed enough? It really is THAT good. If you don't have Confessions, Waves and the Garden State yet, you need it. You can get it HERE and you should do so immediately. Digital and CD are available.

You can also follow Obi Fernandez on Facebook here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

Something Refreshingly Different with Muscle Tough - Modern Romance!

Philadelphia is a lovely city full of delightful people, wonderful history, a big statue of Rocky, and this incredible Italian pork sandwich that beats out any cheese steak I ever had. Don't take my word for it, go eat one. Beyond all that though is an inventive and lively music scene comprised of great venues and some massive talent. Always in the mood for something new, I was recently introduced to the dreamy space jam sounds of Muscle Tough . These guys have a new record out called Modern Romance and if you dig those space-heavy jams like I do, this might just be your bag right here. This is the third record for the trio, following up their 2016 EP release, " Greasin’ Up The Mediocrity Wheel” and 2017’s full length, “Magical Achievements” . The band has had some great guest appearances and played with some heavy hitters on stage, and has been reviewed as a delightful and hilarious band to catch. They are obviously good at what they do musically and have some incred