Skip to main content

The Bandulus - The Times We Had and an interview with Jeremy Pena

I will admit it. My only knowledge of Texas was what I learned from Urban Cowboy (...I'm slightly obsessed with it) and that the Houston airport smelled like popcorn last time I went through there on my way to San Antonio. I'm not proud. But it seems in Texas, there was also the Bandulus. I was a late Bandulus bloomer.

My partner in ska crimes and documentary filming, Randy from Ska Crazy, did an interview with me on his show after we started working on our filming plans. He opened that particular show with the song Ska, Reggae, and Soul by the Bandulus, and that was the first time I had ever heard it. I don't know what it was that hit me the hardest. I am a sucker for vocals, so that was a major factor...but the song itself is just a perfect descriptive of exactly what it talks about. I immediately told Randy I wanted this to be my theme song. I needed some guy to follow me around with a boombox playing this song for the rest of my life. That was it. I was hooked.

I freaking love The Bandulus.

Singer, keyboardist, and founder Jeremy Pena put the Bandulus together in the summer of 2008. Their first album, SKA.REGGAE.SOUL was released two years later and featured the talents of Vic Ruggiero of the Slackers, Ryan Scroggins, Matt Jacobs, Willy Camero and Patrick Kelly, both formerly of The Stingers ATX. The album is soulful and grooving while being so different. Jeremy's voice is very much his own, and it's strong but almost hypnotic. In a world so overrun by voice enhancements and Autotune, thank fucking god people still sing. He has the perfect voice for this music...powerful and soothing and a little bit gruff but only where it needs to be. Yep, I'm hooked.




I have been eagerly awaiting the release of their most recent album, The Times We Had...and it was finally up for download a couple weeks ago. It's already gone on my list of favorite albums for 2012. Don't believe me? Ask my piece in Duff Guide To Ska. I have been playing songs from it on my show since it came out, and that is not anything I expect to be stopping any time soon...except to play songs from the last album as well. I just wish I was able to see them. I think a trip to Texas is in order...

Jeremy was nice enough to answer some questions for me about the band, the album, and what grooves him these days.


First of all, where did the name The Bandulus come from?

Bandulus (pronounced BAN-DOO-LOOS) is Jamaican patios for criminal, bandit, or thief. I use to DJ all of our shows and my dj moniker is Proper Villain Soundsystem, so I decided to keep the theme of a villain. I know it's hard to say and read, but it's different and catchy, I think. Then I found out that there's another band from NYC named The Bandulos. Different spelling, same meaning.


What was it that first got you into this music?

I was about 15 when I first heard the Give Em The Boot 1 CD. There was a song called "Watch This". I was immediately hooked. Who is this? I asked my friend TJ. He told me The Slackers, and I just had to have more of this vintage sound. I think that was the year that Wasted Days came out and it just so happen that they were playing a 2 night party at Flamingo Cantina in Austin. So with that being said, I was front and center both nights. Who knew that 7 years later Victor Ruggiero would record organ on our ska.reggae.soul record.

Are there particular artists who have been major influences on you?

Honestly if it wasn't for The Slackers, We would not be around. They taught me that Americans can play Jamaican music, and still make it their own.

You have played with some amazing and notable acts...the Slackers, The Aggrolites, The Skatalites, etc. Do you have a favorite? 

Hands down it's The Slackers. I love love love The Skatalites, but The Slackers have so much more depth than just ska. And on this last tour we were on with them, they invited me on stage for the encore practically every night. I finally got to sing the lead for them! Definitely a dream come true.

Tell me a little about putting together The Times We Had...

Well we started recording it way back in January of 2011. All the drums, bass, and most of my rhythm guitar was finished that first day. The record was supposed to be released a year ago, but due to a busted van and a busted tour I was really bummed and put it all on the back burner for 6 months. Finally the summer of 2012 came and I was out of the depression and put things into over drive. There are still a few things I wish I would have recorded on there, but I felt that it was way past due and decided that it was "good enough".

As 2012 comes to a close, do you have any plans, hopes, aspirations for The Bandulus in the new year?

Yes! I'm talking to my California buds about a possible tour right now. I've also been talking to Mark from Green Room Rockers and Keith Duncan from The Shifters hoping to get something together with them in both the Midwest and east coast. So that would pretty much cover the US. Nothing in stone yet, but I'll let you know asap!

What is in your CD player/on your iPod/on your turntable right now? 

I've been listening to a lot of the new Menahan Street Band and Lee Fields. I also just rediscovered the Radiation Kings record. Oh and The Frightnrs EP is too short. I love that record. They are killing it right now.

Get YOUR copy of the amazing album The Times We Had for only $8 lousy dollars HERE!!!

You can, and should be following the Bandulus on Facebook HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Mouthful - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad : Make it Better

I feel like I hit the auditory lottery this last year in a lot of ways. Opening my mind to another side of music has been a delicious adventure that I really didn't anticipate shaping and changing me the way it did. I started this blog/podcast focused on local artists which became almost exclusively a ska/reggae/rocksteady undertaking. It's music that lights me up and a scene that welcomed and encouraged what I was trying to do with this whole project. I wanted to share what I was finding in the scene. I wanted to promote and push bands, albums, and shows that were regional into an international audience. This has always and will always be my mission, but I have had to admit that my blinders were on. Enter my husband. Jam guy meets Ska girl. They bond over punk rock and get married. We found out the two scenes we come from were so incredibly similar in so many ways. The vibe, the crowds, the social ideas were very much the same but still there was some strange imaginary ...

The Pandemics - Brain on Tap

New York City is a veritable cornucopia of music and culture. The music, the art, the people...it all radiates with an aura of gritty determination that won't wash off. It's unique energy permeates everything that bleeds from between it's concrete structures and dark clubs and bars. I am in love with New York City. I always will be. It's been a mecca of ska and punk music over the last bunch of decades, and my favorite place to escape New Jersey and run to for a recharge of my soul. Bands in New York have an energy that is almost tangible, and nearly impossible to describe. It varies band to band, scene to scene...but it's constant. Every time I get into a new one, I can detect it almost immediately. It's what gets me dancing immediately...be it sitting at my desk, driving in my car, doing my dishes, putting my radio show and podcast together, everything where the music is filling my ears. Thank fucking goodness for New York City. This is everything that fil...

The Pinstripes - I

My Sunday mornings, unless coupled with a hangover, are my favorites. I wake up whenever my body stirs from slumber (or the cat steps on my face), stumble downstairs in my robe and pajamas, and start my coffee.  Once a cup or so is consumed and that sweet, sweet blood of life also known as caffeine is streaming through my veins, I like to crank up something good and loud and full of soul and dance to wake my ass up and fill me with life while I do my mundane New Jersey suburb Sunday morning chores. It has to be good. It has to move me. It has to remind me that the world is alive and buzzing around me and I woke up this morning...I should be doing nothing less than dancing, So this is when I usually like to test out new music. My mind is rested and clear, and craving something that will make me move. I waited until a Sunday morning to pop in The Pinstripes for the first time. I don't think I even needed the caffeine. WOW. This album exploded all over me, and I have been nothing sh...