Skip to main content

The Pomps - Indie Rock is Dying

I have felt for a year or so like I was in a music drought in our scene. It's not that there wasn't anything happening, it's just that there wasn't anything exciting happening. Don't get me wrong. There have been some great releases and incredible shows, but it's been kinda ho-hum for a little while. I took a couple years off from the podcast and the blog while I recovered from illness, got married, and had my daughter.

Maybe it was me who was ho-hum, but I feel like I am slowly reanimating when I hear music like what I am about to throw at you.

Now, I'm a Jersey Girl and a Yankee fan, so as hard as it is for me to throw love North, I have to say again and again that Boston kicks us down some amazing music. I will ALWAYS give love to Boston for music. (I hear the food up there is pretty amazing too...) They do not disappoint.

Enter The Pomps.

These Boston cats have a great fusion of reggae, pop, trusty old new wave, and just groove. I was told to call it Island Power Punk? It's seriously fun and honestly, I have been looking for something like this. I heard their record Top of the Pomps a few years back, and I remember seeing their name on shows I was was announcing on the podcast around that time, but they were never nearby so I had not been able to catch them. Dude...MY LOSS! These guys are great! It's just enough pop injected into great dance-able reggae grooves. They have a kind of smiling punk attitude. I love it.



So, my attention was called back to them with their recent release, Indie Rock is Dying. It's got a third wave feel but without all that noise. It's like small club dance ska. In my opinion, the best kind. But it's not ska. It's ska-pop fusion? Who cares. It's fucking GOOD. The title track reminds me of some of the best pop-punk that came out of the 90's, but with a 60's Britpop flavor woven underneath. They have a really great energy. It's infectious! Honestly, this is "throw your gear in the trunk and get in, we are going on an adventure" kind of driving music.

This record has head bopping beats straight off some of my favorite 80's new wave, but it's also got that driving island flavor you find in bands like The Slackers and Westbound Train, which makes sense. The band is working with Rarebreed Recording Company, run in part by Westbound's Obi Fernandez. In fact, All My Guns popped up in my feed over the winter as part of Rarebreed's Winter Sampler. I was eager for more since then. I got it!

That song All My Guns is on repeat at my desk this morning. The harmonies are on point and the beat is smooth. If you read my reviews, you know I love vocals. Vocals are my bread and butter and if you can pull me in with that, you have my full, undivided attention. I dig the vocals on this song hard. This is a song you sing along with at the show. I look forward to doing just that. As hard as it is to put a title on what this music falls into categorically, it's so much fun to listen to. It makes you move, and it has me chomping at the bit for something live down here in the dirty Jersey.

I dig all of this. How to Lure People is a slower beat but you still can't help but move and sing along. Great keys too. There is even a little dub flavor happening with the track, Halo Vs. King Django.

They have some dates coming up next month with the Toasters, including one in at The Knitting Factory in Brooklyn on September 24th You can get your tickets for that one Here. Then they are back up to Mass for a show in Cambridge at the Middle East on September 25th. I am tapping my foot and waiting for the Jersey shows...

You can head on over to Paper+Plastic and pick up Indie Rock is Dying HERE. I suggest strongly that you do. This album is perfect summer groove music and we all need a little more of that in our life.

Check out The Pomps on FACEBOOK




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

The Dropsteppers - Get Up In It

Living in the shadow of New York City my whole life has been a blessing. Culture, art, energy, great music, legendary venues, amazing food, and better people watching than you can find almost anywhere else. This became especially true when my ears found ska music in the mid-90's. So much comes out of New York in every genre, and I think it's really made it's name in ska music very well known and well defined. However, it's bright light of awesomeness has blocked my view of what's going on in the Midwest in this glorious music scene...and I feel ashamed! BAD SKA GIRL, Amanda. BAD. There is this whole buzzing beautiful world of dancing just beyond our tri-state area, and every time I stumble into another great band, it's like Christmas for me. This happened again a few months ago. For years, I never really knew that anything but Brenda and Brandon Walsh came out of Minnesota. (you can slap me for that comment) Boy, was I fucking wrong. But I didn't know ther