Skip to main content

Kung Fu - Joyride...Where the Hell Have I Been?

Where the hell have I been?

Under a rock, apparently. I didn't know who these guys were.

Have you heard of Kung Fu? No?

Do you like the funk? Gotta have that funk? You need this in your life. I think I have talked before about how my husband and I came from different musical worlds when we met - bonding over Bad Religion. He is from the jam scene. I am from the ska scene. Both of us are unbelievably loyal and unbelievably stubborn to what we love so it's pulling teeth when we want to share how amazing something is with one another.

Ok, ok. I will just throw Kung Fu into that mix too. I dropped the ball on this one. This is amazing.

This band is a fantastic mix of funk, soul, serious groove, and jazz. Imagine taking all the best parts of Sly and the Family Stone and throwing them into an elevator with Jamiroquai and letting Bootsy Collins push the buttons until everyone throws up. That's kind of what is happening in my head when I listen to Kung Fu.



I got my hands on the 2016 album Joyride. I am pretty much playing it until my head hurts. This is one of those bands that you cannot listen to without moving. I think I am damaging the springs in my desk chair just from moving around while I listen. It has a jam feel but it's so funky that you just get caught up in the motion. It's classic jazz tasty, but modern funk infused. It's got a dance party feel to it without that horrible electric monotony that makes you want to leave the party. This is a party you want to stay at.

I did a little digging into who these guys were. The band is comprised of Tim Palmieri doing guitars and vocals, Robert Somerville on tenor sax and vocals, Beau Sasser on keys and vocals, Chris DeAngelis on bass and vocals, and Adrian Tramontano on drums and percussion. So lets talk about that.

The sax on this album is sick. I am a veteran of the ska scene. I love brass and wood winds in all shapes and sizes. I am LOVING the sax on this whole album, It's clean, its funky, it's full and layered throughout the album like fine gold thread. I call your attention to the opening of Chin Music. Just...what?!

The bass on The Get Down is ridiculous. I married a bass player. I am a bit of a snob in that respect, and I admit that fully. Mr. DeAngelis, sir...you have it. This is just crazy good. My ass is shaking. It just gets better and better as the album progresses. Slap funky crazy sounds.

Keys. I don't even know where to start there. They are carrying through every single song giving bursts of flavor everywhere. It's a never-too-in-your-face sound that while modest is so fresh and funky that it's impossible to ignore.

Drums. Speed Bump of Your Love. There is a really fantastic break down in there about 2 minutes and 40 seconds in that blew my mind. Now, I was pretty drunky drunk so I don't remember this actually happening, but apparently Mr. Tramontano was at the Twiddle show in New Haven this past September that I was at doing percussion. I went back and listened to  the recording and yeah. Wow, dude!

It's funny to me to be getting to vocals pretty much last in a review because I am obsessed with a good front vocal, but there is SO much going on in this sound. Speed Bump of Your Love is my favorite track on this album. It's got a rough, pushy sound that is smooth enough to still sound silky and sexy. The vocals are written in such a way that you can sing along and still be dancing and I like that.

Other tracks you need to give your attention to: the title track Joyride. Futuristic sounds layered with pure funk bass and Graham Central Station flavor. Groove on. Are you listening? Are you standing still? No. No, you are not.
Daddy D. This song broke me into this band. I think my exact words to my husband were HOLY SHIT. That scratchy guitar pinging along with smooth bass, keys, and drum beat. And the back ups on this whole album and fab.

I am getting all stupid and fan girly now because I seriously just want to put this album on, turn it up real loud, and dance all over my office right now. My best advice to you is get yourself this album and shake what the good Lord gave you. YOU. WILL. NOT. STAND. STILL. That is a promise.

Apparently I was in fact Kung Fu Fighting. Now I am Kung Fun Dancing.

You can get their album information as well as show info on their website https://www.kungfumusic.com/







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pandemics - Brain on Tap

New York City is a veritable cornucopia of music and culture. The music, the art, the people...it all radiates with an aura of gritty determination that won't wash off. It's unique energy permeates everything that bleeds from between it's concrete structures and dark clubs and bars. I am in love with New York City. I always will be. It's been a mecca of ska and punk music over the last bunch of decades, and my favorite place to escape New Jersey and run to for a recharge of my soul. Bands in New York have an energy that is almost tangible, and nearly impossible to describe. It varies band to band, scene to scene...but it's constant. Every time I get into a new one, I can detect it almost immediately. It's what gets me dancing immediately...be it sitting at my desk, driving in my car, doing my dishes, putting my radio show and podcast together, everything where the music is filling my ears. Thank fucking goodness for New York City. This is everything that fil...

The Pinstripes - I

My Sunday mornings, unless coupled with a hangover, are my favorites. I wake up whenever my body stirs from slumber (or the cat steps on my face), stumble downstairs in my robe and pajamas, and start my coffee.  Once a cup or so is consumed and that sweet, sweet blood of life also known as caffeine is streaming through my veins, I like to crank up something good and loud and full of soul and dance to wake my ass up and fill me with life while I do my mundane New Jersey suburb Sunday morning chores. It has to be good. It has to move me. It has to remind me that the world is alive and buzzing around me and I woke up this morning...I should be doing nothing less than dancing, So this is when I usually like to test out new music. My mind is rested and clear, and craving something that will make me move. I waited until a Sunday morning to pop in The Pinstripes for the first time. I don't think I even needed the caffeine. WOW. This album exploded all over me, and I have been nothing sh...

More Than a Mouthful - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad : Make it Better

I feel like I hit the auditory lottery this last year in a lot of ways. Opening my mind to another side of music has been a delicious adventure that I really didn't anticipate shaping and changing me the way it did. I started this blog/podcast focused on local artists which became almost exclusively a ska/reggae/rocksteady undertaking. It's music that lights me up and a scene that welcomed and encouraged what I was trying to do with this whole project. I wanted to share what I was finding in the scene. I wanted to promote and push bands, albums, and shows that were regional into an international audience. This has always and will always be my mission, but I have had to admit that my blinders were on. Enter my husband. Jam guy meets Ska girl. They bond over punk rock and get married. We found out the two scenes we come from were so incredibly similar in so many ways. The vibe, the crowds, the social ideas were very much the same but still there was some strange imaginary ...