Skip to main content

Radical Chemicals Vol 1: InCircles/ThePandemics

I am a ska kid. Now and forever. It doesn't matter how broadened my music mind gets or how much love I have for any other scene or genre. I am a ska kid. Branded in the 90's, and still dancing in front of the stage until I damn near pass out every opportunity I get.

Mind you, I'm 38 years old, married with two kids and working a full time job in suburban New Jersey so that isn't as often as I would like anymore...but in my heart, it's all a ska show all day, every day. I have met some of my nearest and dearest friends through this scene. When I was starting out doing internet radio, Podcasting, and blogging six years ago, this scene opened itself to me and gave me a huge push. It's a longtime friend. It's a cozy home. One of those friends in the scene that I met alone the way is Chris Malone, founder of Lonely Atom Records and trombone/vocalist for The Pandemics.

Let me say first that the Pandemics hit me like a ton of bricks. They have one of the boldest and tightest horn sections I have ever seen live and more energy than a thousand toddlers on cupcakes on the stage. I have booked them. I even played with them. They show up, they clean up, and they are some of the nicest folks you will meet. To me, the work they have done in the ska scene has been essential to helping the next generation have a place to be when it's time to move in. That seems to be the goal behind what Chris and Lonely Atom are putting together with it's Radical Chemicals split 7" series. These folks have been active members of the scene themselves for many years and they understand the struggles that a young band faces coming up. The costs, the roadblocks, the pay for play culture, self promotion and everything that comes along with it. They want to help. They want to make a difference.

"Every member of our team here at Lonely Atom Records are more than just music “fans”.  Three of us are musicians, one of us is an audio engineer and the two of us have been booking shows for almost 20 years collectively.  Between us we’ve worked with hundreds of amazing artists.  Artists that we want to see grow to their full potential who don’t get nearly the attention they deserve; something we hope to rectify."

The label set up an Indiegogo campaign to get the label project kick started and it was a success. As a result, the train is moving on and there will be more volumes to come. They are actively seeking additional bands for the project and are excited to share their vision and the music they love with our scene, your scene, and beyond. It's really a fantastic thing that they are doing and I applaud Lonely Atom and Chris for putting forth this vision and making it a reality. You can visit the campaign page and see a video interview with Chris Malone about the project HERE.



I was lucky enough to get a listen to the first installment, including The Pandemics and InCircles.

Very familiar with the Pandemics, I was excited to hear this track. It didn't disappoint. Its that same brassy energy that I love and even kicked it up a notch. The vocals are growling and broody with punk flavor over a ska beat. I have not had the chance to see the Pandemics live in several years and this really kicked open the doors for me. I really want to get out and see these guys again ASAP. This is ska. This is what we need to carry forward in this scene! I am having a very hard time not getting up and dancing while I am typing this...

InCircles is new to me. They are loaded with energy. I can hear a real distinct Placebo flavor in their song, which is awesome. I am a huge Placebo fan and it's not a sound you get a lot of here in the states. It's a Pixies-esque BritPop/PopPunk sound with a bit more edge and that Brian Molko vocal flair that is really not easily replicated. Very cool. Very kicky. I can get into this. The song itself is super catchy. This is essential kick-punk driving music. Sing along, get loud.

I like that this is not just a ska project. This is a broader base.

I am incredibly proud to be able to share what Lonely Atom is doing with the world and I hope they keep on keeping on with these splits and campaigns. There is a ton of music out there that needs a stage and props to Lonely Atom for helping build that stage with DIY energy and experience for the next generation. I hope you check it out and lend your voice!

Head on over to the Facebook page or grab the music HERE. You can also head on over to the Indiegogo fundraising page HERE and learn more about the series and the mission.

My favorite quote on the whole page:

"A portion of the proceeds from these shows goes toward label expenses (the rest goes to the bands because paying musicians for their work is cool)." 

Yes. Yes it sure as fuck is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

The Dropsteppers - Get Up In It

Living in the shadow of New York City my whole life has been a blessing. Culture, art, energy, great music, legendary venues, amazing food, and better people watching than you can find almost anywhere else. This became especially true when my ears found ska music in the mid-90's. So much comes out of New York in every genre, and I think it's really made it's name in ska music very well known and well defined. However, it's bright light of awesomeness has blocked my view of what's going on in the Midwest in this glorious music scene...and I feel ashamed! BAD SKA GIRL, Amanda. BAD. There is this whole buzzing beautiful world of dancing just beyond our tri-state area, and every time I stumble into another great band, it's like Christmas for me. This happened again a few months ago. For years, I never really knew that anything but Brenda and Brandon Walsh came out of Minnesota. (you can slap me for that comment) Boy, was I fucking wrong. But I didn't know ther