Skip to main content

Dance Heavy Funktastic with Pimps of Joytime: Third Wall Chronicles

I love to find something new that I had no idea I would love so much. It's fascinating to me to think that not long ago, I didn't know this music existed and now I don't know how I would go through the rest of life without it. Did you ever ponder that? Maybe it's just me...

I know as an independent music supporter that I am supposed to hate Spotify. That is what I read on Facebook from musician friends and associates of mine. I know I am supposed to hate it, but I can't because it keeps throwing music at me that amazes me. It keeps dishing me music that grows into almost unhealthy obsessions. Mind you, I AM in fact an independent music supporter. I buy albums. I pay my way into shows. I almost always buy merch. (except for you $50 t-shirt bands...too rich for my blood...but I will buy that $2 sticker right there...) I was rocking some Vulfpeck this morning because my job was just eating away at my soul and I needed that groove in a big, bad way. As I occasionally do, I thought I would scroll on down to that "Related Artists" spot to see what was there to discover.

That's how I found the Pimps of Joytime. I won't lie, the name intrigued me so I pulled up their listener profile and poked around at their songs a bit.

Good. Golly.

I was (and presently am) fielding stares from passers by in my office as my desk chair dancing is bordering on inappropriate. This is CRAZY good. You need this in your life, and you need this in your life now. This is something I need to share with the world.



I am thoroughly immersed in their 2017 release, Third Wall Chronicles and positively drowning in sensual groove on songs like Mud (featuring Ivan Neville) that just pull you in and hold you close. Funky guitar and bass with simple clean drums and keys coated with vocals that get right to your core. Then the chorus kicks in with such power it almost takes you by surprise. Move on over to the track Little Bit of Something and feel the swagger of that early 70's AM gold with a real slight feather touch of something tropical. It's soulful and smooth with a real classic groove feel. I am enamored with the vocals on this record.

On to Jack Stackin', a chugging and funky track infused with attitude and style. It's an impromptu dance party stuck in traffic on a hot summer night. This is a song that makes it positively impossible to sit still. If you are listening to this and are not shaking your lower regions, I don't think we can hang. This song is sexy as hell. There are so many artists trying to pull off this sound and not even coming close to the Pimps of Joytime.

Needing to know more, I asked my friend Google about them and was directed to their website where I learned that they are based out of not-too-far from me Brooklyn, NY. That makes sense to me because their sound has that groove of streetlights, late night parties, and car horns. That feel of "I'm having too much fun and I don't want to go home yet". You know what I mean? I can't remember the last time listening to an album was this much fun. The whole record is clean and funky laced with body moving bass lines and soulful vocals that I want to know all the words to right now so I can sing along.

The band is made up of Brian J (vocals and guitar), Mayteana Morales (vocals and percussion), Kimberly Dawson (vocals), David Bailis (bass and keys) and John Staten (drums). I don't know what kind of divine intervention it was that these folks found one another, but the result is an explosive brand of soul-funk-dancegasms that have me hunting for the next somewhat local show so I can shake it and shake it hard.

What I think I like the most about this record is that the songs are inventive and each one is it's own party. They go from straight funk to soul to electronic dance and then back again without breaking stride at all. This album is the soundtrack to the greatest night ever. That night you need to shake off all the stresses of your life by way of the dance floor. Grab something at the bar and wind your way through the crowd to your own space and just lose yourself in the groove. This is that album. That is this group of musicians. If you could be addicted to a sound, this is it.

Essential Listening:

Neara to Your Fire: Sexy and body shaking groove laced with just enough electronica and infectious vocals that you cannot help but sing along with as you dance. This song will inevitably lead to dirty talking and possible horizontal boogaloos between consenting adults. And that's great!

Little Bit of Something: As I said above, it comes in with a feather light tropical, maybe almost rocksteady guitar feel but it's something else entirely and pretty soon it pulls you inside itself with vocals that stroke your soul. This song is just gorgeous and flowing.

Jack Stackin: No, seriously, I am completely obsessed with this song. This will shake you out of any attitude you might have. That or it will just infuse you with the swagger to turn that attitude into dance floor groove. If I had a soundtrack when I walked down the street, I would want it to be this song but I know I am nowhere near cool enough to pull that off.

Pimps of Joytime have a whole mess of tour dates coming up including Summer Camp, if you are lucky enough to be headed there this year (so jealous if you are). Take a peep here and find the one closest to you. Then put on your sassiest ensemble, get out there and dance. Be prepared to be floored. Be prepared to sweat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

The Dropsteppers - Get Up In It

Living in the shadow of New York City my whole life has been a blessing. Culture, art, energy, great music, legendary venues, amazing food, and better people watching than you can find almost anywhere else. This became especially true when my ears found ska music in the mid-90's. So much comes out of New York in every genre, and I think it's really made it's name in ska music very well known and well defined. However, it's bright light of awesomeness has blocked my view of what's going on in the Midwest in this glorious music scene...and I feel ashamed! BAD SKA GIRL, Amanda. BAD. There is this whole buzzing beautiful world of dancing just beyond our tri-state area, and every time I stumble into another great band, it's like Christmas for me. This happened again a few months ago. For years, I never really knew that anything but Brenda and Brandon Walsh came out of Minnesota. (you can slap me for that comment) Boy, was I fucking wrong. But I didn't know ther