Skip to main content

Wig Party is Back with that Groove and Their New EP, 99th Birthday

It's tough to have a talented spouse and a blog about music. Eventually, the two are going to cross and you are going to have to sit there and wonder if nepotism is a thing in music journalism. Is it? I have no idea. But here is the scoop... my hubs joined this pretty neato band called Wig Party and now Wig Party has this pretty neato EP that I want to talk about and I don't know if I can, but I am going to anyway so when you see me gushing in run on sentences, you know this is me trying to determine if I am being a bad blogger. Am I?

Fuck it.

So here is Wig Party. A band of merry fellows from Northern New Jersey who have come to knock the socks clear off your feet. I actually did a piece on their Phish pre-party at American beauty a while back. You can read about that right HERE. It was a super good time! I'm glad to now be a part of this Wig Party family. But more on that later.

The band has been around a while. They found some notoriety with their first release, Glass Girls,  and even found themselves charted for three months straight on Relix's Jambands radio chart, including holding at places 5 and 6. Not too shabby, guys! They played pre-parties and afterparties for Phish and the Bob Weir/Phil Lesh duo at BB King's and American Beauty in New York City, as well as the Raven Room in NJ. The band was young and promising but as often happens, the promise seemed to stop short. Tragedy struck hard, and the band lost keyboardist and dear friend Hank Rosenthal to a battle with addiction. While some bands might never recover from such a blow, Wig Party found the strength.



With that strength came new life and a new three song EP.

99th birthday was recorded at Mixolydian Studios in lovely Water Gap, PA under the masterful producer eye of Railroad Earth's own Tim Carbone. Because one legend having their hands on your music is not enough, the band also brought in Don Sternecker to engineer the EP and 9 time Grammy winner Gene Paul to master it. The album also features a guest spot from the late wonderful Andy Goesling of Railroad Earth on both tenor and baritone sax which added a touch of deep soul to the fun and danceable track. While the album highlights the great songwriting that is Wig Party, the real experience with the band is to see them live.



2018 saw the addition of new members, drummer Tom DiCianni and bassist Eric Marcazo, as well as keyboardist Joe Biglin. In addition to original member John Cisco moving to guitar and vocalist/guitarist Vincent Ventriglia hanging out where he's always been, the band is poised for a super exciting 2019. The guys have been out warming up the stage with their particular brand of "Slacker Jam" and sophisticated groove fun. The live show is where it's at. The guys are master of improvisation on the stage and have a fantastic chemistry that they more or less stumbled upon just having a good time and playing music among friends. They debuted this new groove opening for Kung Fu's Chris DeAngelis and his side project, LoEndFreque a couple months ago and have not looked back. 

You can get your grubby little hands on the music in all the usual places, but here is a link to the website to have a tasty look: MUSIC

Keep an eye to the website HERE for upcoming shows and other goodness from the band. Check out 99th Birthday. This is not an obligated post. It's really freaking good!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

Something Refreshingly Different with Muscle Tough - Modern Romance!

Philadelphia is a lovely city full of delightful people, wonderful history, a big statue of Rocky, and this incredible Italian pork sandwich that beats out any cheese steak I ever had. Don't take my word for it, go eat one. Beyond all that though is an inventive and lively music scene comprised of great venues and some massive talent. Always in the mood for something new, I was recently introduced to the dreamy space jam sounds of Muscle Tough . These guys have a new record out called Modern Romance and if you dig those space-heavy jams like I do, this might just be your bag right here. This is the third record for the trio, following up their 2016 EP release, " Greasin’ Up The Mediocrity Wheel” and 2017’s full length, “Magical Achievements” . The band has had some great guest appearances and played with some heavy hitters on stage, and has been reviewed as a delightful and hilarious band to catch. They are obviously good at what they do musically and have some incred