Skip to main content

Kung Fu - Joyride...Where the Hell Have I Been?

Where the hell have I been?

Under a rock, apparently. I didn't know who these guys were.

Have you heard of Kung Fu? No?

Do you like the funk? Gotta have that funk? You need this in your life. I think I have talked before about how my husband and I came from different musical worlds when we met - bonding over Bad Religion. He is from the jam scene. I am from the ska scene. Both of us are unbelievably loyal and unbelievably stubborn to what we love so it's pulling teeth when we want to share how amazing something is with one another.

Ok, ok. I will just throw Kung Fu into that mix too. I dropped the ball on this one. This is amazing.

This band is a fantastic mix of funk, soul, serious groove, and jazz. Imagine taking all the best parts of Sly and the Family Stone and throwing them into an elevator with Jamiroquai and letting Bootsy Collins push the buttons until everyone throws up. That's kind of what is happening in my head when I listen to Kung Fu.



I got my hands on the 2016 album Joyride. I am pretty much playing it until my head hurts. This is one of those bands that you cannot listen to without moving. I think I am damaging the springs in my desk chair just from moving around while I listen. It has a jam feel but it's so funky that you just get caught up in the motion. It's classic jazz tasty, but modern funk infused. It's got a dance party feel to it without that horrible electric monotony that makes you want to leave the party. This is a party you want to stay at.

I did a little digging into who these guys were. The band is comprised of Tim Palmieri doing guitars and vocals, Robert Somerville on tenor sax and vocals, Beau Sasser on keys and vocals, Chris DeAngelis on bass and vocals, and Adrian Tramontano on drums and percussion. So lets talk about that.

The sax on this album is sick. I am a veteran of the ska scene. I love brass and wood winds in all shapes and sizes. I am LOVING the sax on this whole album, It's clean, its funky, it's full and layered throughout the album like fine gold thread. I call your attention to the opening of Chin Music. Just...what?!

The bass on The Get Down is ridiculous. I married a bass player. I am a bit of a snob in that respect, and I admit that fully. Mr. DeAngelis, sir...you have it. This is just crazy good. My ass is shaking. It just gets better and better as the album progresses. Slap funky crazy sounds.

Keys. I don't even know where to start there. They are carrying through every single song giving bursts of flavor everywhere. It's a never-too-in-your-face sound that while modest is so fresh and funky that it's impossible to ignore.

Drums. Speed Bump of Your Love. There is a really fantastic break down in there about 2 minutes and 40 seconds in that blew my mind. Now, I was pretty drunky drunk so I don't remember this actually happening, but apparently Mr. Tramontano was at the Twiddle show in New Haven this past September that I was at doing percussion. I went back and listened to  the recording and yeah. Wow, dude!

It's funny to me to be getting to vocals pretty much last in a review because I am obsessed with a good front vocal, but there is SO much going on in this sound. Speed Bump of Your Love is my favorite track on this album. It's got a rough, pushy sound that is smooth enough to still sound silky and sexy. The vocals are written in such a way that you can sing along and still be dancing and I like that.

Other tracks you need to give your attention to: the title track Joyride. Futuristic sounds layered with pure funk bass and Graham Central Station flavor. Groove on. Are you listening? Are you standing still? No. No, you are not.
Daddy D. This song broke me into this band. I think my exact words to my husband were HOLY SHIT. That scratchy guitar pinging along with smooth bass, keys, and drum beat. And the back ups on this whole album and fab.

I am getting all stupid and fan girly now because I seriously just want to put this album on, turn it up real loud, and dance all over my office right now. My best advice to you is get yourself this album and shake what the good Lord gave you. YOU. WILL. NOT. STAND. STILL. That is a promise.

Apparently I was in fact Kung Fu Fighting. Now I am Kung Fun Dancing.

You can get their album information as well as show info on their website https://www.kungfumusic.com/







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Almost Time for Disc Jam 2018! - UPDATED WITH SCHEDULE!

5/8 - UPDATE!!! THE SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE! (see the bottom of this post!) I can't begin to explain how much I am eagerly awaiting Disc Jam this year. When I found myself really, truly delving into the jam scene, it was for a lot of reasons. I was exploring music I already had a deep love for, I was exploring bands that my husband admired and helped to shape him, I was branching out in my music tastes out of my own curiosity about what I was missing, I was seeking a far more detailed understanding of the players who could go beyond a simple song and instead weave a whole story on the spot, but mostly I was seeking something much deeper for myself. I was seeking a peace that I desperately needed and just wasn't finding anywhere.  I have always felt deeply connected to the music that I loved and while I have been writing about music for 8 years, I lost much of the connection that I used to feel. My love for the music remains strong, but as stupid as it feels to put this

Enjoy Some Delicious New Grooves with The Breakfast - Phantasmagoria

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I like more right now than Breakfast. More specifically, The Breakfast. The Breakfast started way back in 1998 in East Haven, CT originally as The Psychedelic Breakfast, a play on the Pink Floyd song Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast. They released their first album in 1999. There have been some lineup changes here and there, but the one thing that has always remained consistent when someone talks about the band is how freaking GOOD they are. The Breakfast is comprised of some of the most intensely talented players within and well outside the jam scene. Tim Palmieri, best known for his incredible work with Kung Fu and Z3, is on guitar. Adrian Tramontano, also of Kung Fu as well as about a million other projects and instruments because he’s that good, is on drums. Chris DeAngelis, also of Kung Fu as well as his solo project LoEndFreque , is on bass. Jordan Giangreco, who has played all over as well including in Viral Sound, is on keys. Ev

The Dropsteppers - Get Up In It

Living in the shadow of New York City my whole life has been a blessing. Culture, art, energy, great music, legendary venues, amazing food, and better people watching than you can find almost anywhere else. This became especially true when my ears found ska music in the mid-90's. So much comes out of New York in every genre, and I think it's really made it's name in ska music very well known and well defined. However, it's bright light of awesomeness has blocked my view of what's going on in the Midwest in this glorious music scene...and I feel ashamed! BAD SKA GIRL, Amanda. BAD. There is this whole buzzing beautiful world of dancing just beyond our tri-state area, and every time I stumble into another great band, it's like Christmas for me. This happened again a few months ago. For years, I never really knew that anything but Brenda and Brandon Walsh came out of Minnesota. (you can slap me for that comment) Boy, was I fucking wrong. But I didn't know ther