Skip to main content

...Don Ryan, one folked up experience in Tangle Town...

I have had this song stuck in my head for a week.

Seriously, I wake up singing it.

This Town, by Don Ryan.


I got an e-mail a few weeks back from this gentleman. He sent me this video. I opened it up, gave it a good listen, and it has been stuck in my head ever since. I have posted it on Facebook. I have e-mailed it to friends. It's been blasted in my car speakers. I have said it before, it takes a lot to knock my socks off, especially musically. I am not easily impressed, and I see through the glitz and polish quite easily. But this...this is the real thing. Don Ryan is different. This is real music. This is real good music.

I downloaded the whole album, Tangle Town, after giving this video a few good spins in my headphones. Usually when it comes down to needing to review music, I find the best possible method for me is to listen to it in my car. I spend a lot of time in my car. I am a commuter. A hardened, foul-mouthed North Jersey highway commuter. We are our own breed. If not for music, I would probably have had a Michael Douglas Falling Down moment a long time ago. That being said, music for me is best absorbed through the ears and into the brain (and soul) in the car. Onto my thumb drive went Mr. Ryan, and into my Kia went the thumb drive.



I have been bouncing this music around in my speakers now for a couple weeks, and the first time I listened to it, I actually went into work late because the song Living Avenue was not done playing, and I could not turn it off. Imagine the folk sounds of a later Jim Croce having a love child with the deep soul of Jeff Buckley, and you are still not even close. It's gorgeous and deep. Full and thick with something I can't seem to touch, but I can still feel. I fell in love with this song immediately. It's a gentle mix of simple guitar and vocals with these low vocal backgrounds. Drums come in, background noise comes in, it all fills out and takes you somewhere else entirely. And singable. Sing along with it.

A Mouse in God's County is another favorite of mine on this album. It has a flavor like that of This Town, but a little more fevered and with great lyrics and intensity. Somewhere between the songs on this album, you feel transferred somewhere else entirely. It's like being sucked into some strange dust bowl depression era carnival with this man as your guide...your only link back to the modern world. And he seems to straddle that line with a sly smirk on his face the whole time. It's a great trip. I can't seem to get it out of my car speakers, my computer headphones, or my head in general. When I like something, I listen to it to death. I am killing this album as we speak.

Now take the song Maybe You Were Right. A strange journey into an almost hallucinogenic ride at some distorted county fair. But it's beautiful. Don Ryan has a way of singing over all the strings that keeps it normal even when it seems headed in that trippy Beatles-after-Dylan-showed-them-weed direction. It's really amazing what he does with the layers of sound on this album. Every time you listen, you will notice something you didn't hear before. It's dark, but it's truthful and beautiful.

Don Ryan mixes it all up. He takes older styles of music, various instruments, and basic folk sounds and threads them all together into this great sound. There is so much variation between the songs as well. Little bits and blurbs. Then the song will start, and just take you away. It's not straight folk all the way through, though you can hear and taste that in On Our Way Home and Down and Out...which has amazing lyrics. It's not straight tripped-out carnival music, though you will get that feel all the way through the album in small doses and surprises mid-song. It's got that noir-pop flavor mixed in.

There is a taste of Buckley. A taste of Waits. But this is all Don Ryan. A strange trip to another time and place. Beautiful and haunted. Driving along with this in my speakers, I find myself watching the world go buy with different eyes. I can't wait to catch him live and feel the vibe in the room. Well done, Mr. Ryan.

GET THE MUSIC HERE

FOLLOW DON RYAN HERE

~AJH






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Mouthful - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad : Make it Better

I feel like I hit the auditory lottery this last year in a lot of ways. Opening my mind to another side of music has been a delicious adventure that I really didn't anticipate shaping and changing me the way it did. I started this blog/podcast focused on local artists which became almost exclusively a ska/reggae/rocksteady undertaking. It's music that lights me up and a scene that welcomed and encouraged what I was trying to do with this whole project. I wanted to share what I was finding in the scene. I wanted to promote and push bands, albums, and shows that were regional into an international audience. This has always and will always be my mission, but I have had to admit that my blinders were on. Enter my husband. Jam guy meets Ska girl. They bond over punk rock and get married. We found out the two scenes we come from were so incredibly similar in so many ways. The vibe, the crowds, the social ideas were very much the same but still there was some strange imaginary ...

The Pandemics - Brain on Tap

New York City is a veritable cornucopia of music and culture. The music, the art, the people...it all radiates with an aura of gritty determination that won't wash off. It's unique energy permeates everything that bleeds from between it's concrete structures and dark clubs and bars. I am in love with New York City. I always will be. It's been a mecca of ska and punk music over the last bunch of decades, and my favorite place to escape New Jersey and run to for a recharge of my soul. Bands in New York have an energy that is almost tangible, and nearly impossible to describe. It varies band to band, scene to scene...but it's constant. Every time I get into a new one, I can detect it almost immediately. It's what gets me dancing immediately...be it sitting at my desk, driving in my car, doing my dishes, putting my radio show and podcast together, everything where the music is filling my ears. Thank fucking goodness for New York City. This is everything that fil...

The Pinstripes - I

My Sunday mornings, unless coupled with a hangover, are my favorites. I wake up whenever my body stirs from slumber (or the cat steps on my face), stumble downstairs in my robe and pajamas, and start my coffee.  Once a cup or so is consumed and that sweet, sweet blood of life also known as caffeine is streaming through my veins, I like to crank up something good and loud and full of soul and dance to wake my ass up and fill me with life while I do my mundane New Jersey suburb Sunday morning chores. It has to be good. It has to move me. It has to remind me that the world is alive and buzzing around me and I woke up this morning...I should be doing nothing less than dancing, So this is when I usually like to test out new music. My mind is rested and clear, and craving something that will make me move. I waited until a Sunday morning to pop in The Pinstripes for the first time. I don't think I even needed the caffeine. WOW. This album exploded all over me, and I have been nothing sh...