Skip to main content

The Dropsteppers - Get Up In It

Living in the shadow of New York City my whole life has been a blessing. Culture, art, energy, great music, legendary venues, amazing food, and better people watching than you can find almost anywhere else. This became especially true when my ears found ska music in the mid-90's. So much comes out of New York in every genre, and I think it's really made it's name in ska music very well known and well defined. However, it's bright light of awesomeness has blocked my view of what's going on in the Midwest in this glorious music scene...and I feel ashamed! BAD SKA GIRL, Amanda. BAD. There is this whole buzzing beautiful world of dancing just beyond our tri-state area, and every time I stumble into another great band, it's like Christmas for me. This happened again a few months ago.

For years, I never really knew that anything but Brenda and Brandon Walsh came out of Minnesota. (you can slap me for that comment) Boy, was I fucking wrong. But I didn't know there was a ska scene. I didn't know it was buzzing so loud. It finally reached my ears.

I heard the Prizefighters, and I was blown away. You can read my review of these amazing folks HERE. Thankfully, it seems the magic doesn't stop there. Not hardly! Someone dropped the album Get Up In It by the Dropsteppers in my lap a few months ago, and that was it. I am sold. I want to go to Minnesota. I need to go to Minnesota.



The band formed in 2010 according to their website, and are comprised of Albert Perez on guitar, Doug Otto on organ and vocals, Tom McDowall on vocals and guitar, Christopher Allen Gray on drums and vocals, Paul Perez on percussion and vocals, Eric Struve on bass. This is not a thrown together batch of lazy guys. This is a mashing of talent from start to finish, and they have expertly blended each individually perfect section of this band into an amazing sound that I personally cannot get enough of. A blending of the traditional flavors of reggae, rocksteady, and soul with a modern feel that sets them apart and brings them right to the front.

If you are a listener to my show and my podcast, you have heard the song Extraordinary Woman. You have probably heard it every week since I got my hands on it. I can't stop playing it. First of all, let me point out that the bass lines on this entire album are great...but on this song, it's nothing short of hot and helps to define this track. It's layered under the organ, percussion, and guitar in a very precise mix. The vocals are a huge part of what makes the song as catchy as it is as well. The lead is great, the backups and impossible not to sing along with. It's one of those songs that makes me wonder who it was written for...and wish it was me. It's soulful. It's catchy. It will move you.

My other favorite on the album is Hot Mess. This has become my happy song lately. It's fun! The vocals and lyrics are great on their own...Tom McDowall is a really great voice for this music. But the rest of the guys make this song addicting. Those hot bass lines are there, the organ, the guitar, the perfectly placed percussion. The backup vocals. And see if you can listen to it all the way through and not dance. I bet you can't. If you can, check your pulse. I think you might be dead. Who doesn't want someone singing that you make them a hot mess in your presence? In a good way! I love love LOVE this song.

Want a bit of a slower groove? Listen to Foolish Pride. Straight up rocksteady sound blended with those soulful vocals and steady bass line, and then peppered with every other delicious aspect of what makes this such a great album. It's music you don't just hear. It's music you feel right down to the deepest spots...those ones that make you start moving.

The Dropsteppers set themselves apart with their traditional flavor, but they blend it so well with a modern energy. It's really an impressive sound and it's consistently good throughout the album from start to finish. They keep it fresh from track to track without that overlapping boredom that tends to find itself into the work of other artists going for the same sound. No, these gentlemen mastered it on this record.

I don't know how much begging I need to do to get these guys out to New Jersey and New York, but you can bet your sweet ass I am going to find out. I have listened to this album so much, it's probably chiseled into the inside of my skull at this point, and I crave a live show. From what I hear, they do just as well live as they do in the studio. Otherwise, it looks like I am paying a visit to Minnesota this winter. Guess I better pick up those new snow boots...

If you are lucky enough to be out that way, you can check these guys out November 29th at Triple Rock Social Club with Deals Gone Bad and Stop Drop. You can get more information about that show HERE



The album Get Up In it by the Dropsteppers is available on Megalith Records and you can find it at CD Baby RIGHT HERE.

You can check out more about The Dropsteppers at their website HERE






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pinstripes - I

My Sunday mornings, unless coupled with a hangover, are my favorites. I wake up whenever my body stirs from slumber (or the cat steps on my face), stumble downstairs in my robe and pajamas, and start my coffee.  Once a cup or so is consumed and that sweet, sweet blood of life also known as caffeine is streaming through my veins, I like to crank up something good and loud and full of soul and dance to wake my ass up and fill me with life while I do my mundane New Jersey suburb Sunday morning chores. It has to be good. It has to move me. It has to remind me that the world is alive and buzzing around me and I woke up this morning...I should be doing nothing less than dancing, So this is when I usually like to test out new music. My mind is rested and clear, and craving something that will make me move. I waited until a Sunday morning to pop in The Pinstripes for the first time. I don't think I even needed the caffeine. WOW. This album exploded all over me, and I have been nothing sh...

More Than a Mouthful - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad : Make it Better

I feel like I hit the auditory lottery this last year in a lot of ways. Opening my mind to another side of music has been a delicious adventure that I really didn't anticipate shaping and changing me the way it did. I started this blog/podcast focused on local artists which became almost exclusively a ska/reggae/rocksteady undertaking. It's music that lights me up and a scene that welcomed and encouraged what I was trying to do with this whole project. I wanted to share what I was finding in the scene. I wanted to promote and push bands, albums, and shows that were regional into an international audience. This has always and will always be my mission, but I have had to admit that my blinders were on. Enter my husband. Jam guy meets Ska girl. They bond over punk rock and get married. We found out the two scenes we come from were so incredibly similar in so many ways. The vibe, the crowds, the social ideas were very much the same but still there was some strange imaginary ...

The Pandemics - Brain on Tap

New York City is a veritable cornucopia of music and culture. The music, the art, the people...it all radiates with an aura of gritty determination that won't wash off. It's unique energy permeates everything that bleeds from between it's concrete structures and dark clubs and bars. I am in love with New York City. I always will be. It's been a mecca of ska and punk music over the last bunch of decades, and my favorite place to escape New Jersey and run to for a recharge of my soul. Bands in New York have an energy that is almost tangible, and nearly impossible to describe. It varies band to band, scene to scene...but it's constant. Every time I get into a new one, I can detect it almost immediately. It's what gets me dancing immediately...be it sitting at my desk, driving in my car, doing my dishes, putting my radio show and podcast together, everything where the music is filling my ears. Thank fucking goodness for New York City. This is everything that fil...